High School Introduces Early Release/Late Arrival Program

Maryana Shnitser, Senior Editor

The school board approved an early release/late arrival program in September, allowing eligible juniors and seniors to arrive at school late or leave early if they have a first or eighth period study hall.

The school board approved an early release/late arrival privilege in September, allowing eligible juniors and seniors to arrive late or leave early if they have a first or eighth period study hall. 

Administrators have considered this program in the past, but implemented it this year because of the Covid pandemic. The program lowers the overall number of students in the building and reduces the number of students entering or leaving at one time. It also reduces the size of study halls, where large groups of students congregate. 

This year, 166 students (20% of the total student body) qualify for this program because they have a study hall first or last period. 98 of these students qualify for late arrival and 78 for early dismissal. To be eligible, students must have a satisfactory attendance record, an appropriate behavior record, meet certain academic standards, and have transportation arranged, as it will not be provided by the school. So far, 22 students have been approved for the program (15 seniors and 7 juniors).

Jake Grinshpun, a senior who has taken part in the early release program, said, “I like the early release. It allows me to go home earlier and get more work done, since I am a lot more productive doing work at home than at school. Also, it’s nice on days when I don’t have work just to get out of school earlier and relax at home.”

The program was approved after schedules for the year had already been made. In the future, however, the administration is looking to incorporate the option into scheduling and increase the number of eligible students. This program could lead to increased achievement as students strive to qualify for the program. It may also reduce the number of missed classes for extracurriculars, especially since student athletes often miss last period classes to attend games.

The Early Release and Late Arrival Program will benefit upperclassmen and give underclassmen an exciting privilege to look forward to and a goal to reach.